For our last weekend in Ghana, Jessie, Marlene, Sabrina, and I decided to take a road trip to Takoradi, which is the third largest city in Ghana according to Wikipedia. Takoradi is located in the western region, and at one point was the porting capital of Ghana. Our reason for going to Takoradi was one of relaxation. I had made a reservation to get a massage at one of Takoradi’s most famous spas, and Jessie, Marlene, and Sabrina planned to lounge by the beachside.
Before my massage, I decided to join Jessie, Marlene, and Sabrina at the beach. We climbed the rocks along the shore and watched as the waves hit along the sides. Jessie, a lover of the sea, ventured out further along the rocks until a wave yanked her down. When she crawled back up it was obvious her foot was injured.
Jessie had accidentally stepped on a sea urchin and now had six of its needles stuck in her middle toe, about three in the palm of her feet, and one in her heel. I was too excited at her discomfort! The future-nurse in mewas ready to jump to action! According to Google, the sea urchin needles were slightly poisonous so we figured Jessie’s best option was to go ahead and dig the needles out.
With the help of Marlene, Sabrina, a First-Aid Kit and some sewing needles, I, Jada Wiggleton-Little performed my first surgical procedure! I carefully took out exactly two needles from Jessie’s foot before hunger got the best of me and I had to hand my surgical supplies over to a security guard who volunteered his services. As the security guard finished up the operation, the rest of us couldn’t help but sit back and laugh as Jessie cried out in pain, grateful that it wasn’t us in the chair.
However, quickly after lunch I noticed I had a throbbing pain in the heel of my foot. Behold my surprise when I saw that I too had accidentally stepped on sea urchin , and had six needles embedded in my skin. Let’s just say, Jessie was too happy to return the favor…